I don’t think that I would have ever liked eggplant, had I not married an Armenian. Vahe makes so many yummy Armenian dishes with eggplant, this is probably my favorite!
Armenian Eggplant Rolls
2 medium eggplant (the longer and thinner, the better!)
8 cloves garlic, minced
olive oil, as needed
salt to taste
4 cups grated carrot (I like them finely grated, some people prefer them larger)
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup walnuts, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
about 3/4 cup sour cream
salt to taste
1. Mix all of the filling ingredients together using only enough sour cream to moisten the mixture so that it sticks together. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Prepare the eggplant by cutting off the stem-end, and cutting it length-wise into strips about 1/4-inch (or thinner) thick.
3. Heat olive oil and a clove of minced garlic in large skillet over medium-high heat, using just enough to coat the pan. Eggplant absorbs a lot of oil, so only use what is necessary to prevent the eggplant from sticking to the pan.
4. Fry the eggplant strips on both sides in the garlic-oil, until golden brown. Replenish oil and garlic as needed. Salt each eggplant strip after cooking.
5. Put 2-3 tablespoons of filling on one end of the eggplant strip, and roll, wrapping the eggplant around the carrot filling. Repeat with each cooked strip.
These are great served immediately, but I love them best straight from the fridge the next day!