Your whole fam will love these Tex-Mex garlic-lime chicken & rice bowls – and you will love them because you can make them almost entirely out of your rice maker! These rice bowls are stuffed with Mexican rice, black beans, corn & garlic-lime chicken and topped with cheddar cheese and your favorite fresh veggies.
So first, you’ll need your chicken. I love to use my garlic-lime chicken in these rice bowls – it is one of my favorite ways to prepare chicken, ever. It has the perfect balance of sweet & savory with a slightly spicy dry rub and a garlic-lime reduction that gives it just a hint of sweet and sour. Yum! If you aren’t up for making the chicken, you could also just throw in yesterday’s grilled chicken leftovers, some shredded rotisserie, or even just omit the chicken and go veggie!
Also, before you start making these – know that this will make a TON of food, easily feeding 8+ adults. Half the recipe if you have a smaller fam, or freeze the leftovers for later!
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 chicken breasts, lightly pounded to uniform thickness
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Mix together all seasonings, and lightly and uniformly sprinkle on both sides of four chicken breasts.
- Grill chicken breasts until just barely cooked through, remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, preheat a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Pour the lime juice and minced garlic into the hot pan and bring to a simmer.
- Place the cooked chicken breasts into the simmering garlic & lime. Reduce the lime juice around the chicken by continuing to simmer, flipping the chicken after about 2-3 minutes, and continuing to cook on the other side for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow chicken to cool slightly before cubing. (Or, make in advance and refrigerate.)
Next, you’ll make your rice. I just throw everything in my rice maker and press the button – but you could also prepare this on the stovetop, just as you would normal rice.
Easy Mexican Rice
- 4 “rice cups” (about 3 cups) white rice
- water (enough to fill to line 4, or about 6 cups on stovetop)
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 cup chunky salsa
- 1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Rinse rice under cold water, and drain once. Fill water to appropriate line, then add the rest of the ingredients, except for the sour cream. Stir to incorporate seasoning into the water, then set to cook just as you would plain rice!
- OR – using a 2:1 water to rice ratio, cook rice on the stovetop just as you normally would. Don’t be tempted to peak early and stir!
- Once rice is cooked through, stir and fluff with fork. Add in sour cream, and carefully stir to incorporate.
Once your chicken and rice are both cooked – you are ready to assemble your rice bowls!
Tex-Mex Garlic-Lime Chicken and Rice Bowls
- 4 garlic-lime chicken breasts, cubed (recipe above)
- easy Mexican rice (recipe above)
- 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups frozen sweet corn, thawed (or 2 cans canned corn, or 2 cups fresh cooked corn!)
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Toppings, all optional:
- lime wedges
- cubed avocado
- sliced olives (my kids ate all mine before I could put them on!)
- sour cream
- green onions
- crushed tortilla chips
- fresh salsa or pico
- Add cubed chicken, beans and corn to your Mexican rice in the same rice maker (or pot) that it was cooked in. Stir together, and set rice maker to “warm” (or heat over very low heat) for 5-10 minutes, or until all of the ingredients are warmed through (doesn’t need to be hot).
- Place rice into individual (oven-safe) ramekins or small terra cotta pans. (You could also transfer all of the rice into a casserole dish and serve family-style.)
- Generously top with shredded cheddar cheese, and broil in oven until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Top as desired.