This cheesy veggie chicken bake is my little spin-off of Costco’s chicken bake – loaded with chicken, turkey bacon, veggies and cheese. It is the perfect little baked sandwich! Follow the recipe here, or substitute ingredients with leftovers and whatever veggies your family loves. These are great for on-the-go meals, and will freeze perfect for later too!
Here’s what I put inside mine:
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (+ 1 more cup for sprinkling on top later)
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked & shredded – mixed with 4 oz cream cheese (I used chive & onion flavored) while still warm
- 6 oz (half of a package) of turkey bacon, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces & cooked
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 2 cups potatoes – cut into 1/2-inch cubes and boiled until “almost done” (it will cook just a little more while baking)
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup Caesar dressing
Prepare your filling ingredients ahead of time, so that it completely chilled before mixing together and wrapping in your dough.
For the dough, use your favorite sandwich bread recipe scaled to include about 6 cups of flour. You could also use refrigerated pizza dough.
Or, here is the recipe that I used:
- 2 cups warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons yeast
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 4 cups bread flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- Proof yeast in water and sugar. Add oil, half of the flour, and salt – mix well. Knead in enough of the remaining flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Knead until smooth – about 10-15 minutes by hand or 7-8 minutes in mixer.
- Let dough rise in a lightly greased bowl, loosely covered with plastic wrap, until doubled – for about 1 hour.
After your dough has completed its first rise, punch down and roll out into a 15 x 25-inch rectangle on a lightly greased surface, about 1/3-inch thick. Then cut into fifteen 5-inch squares.
Top each square with about 1/2-cup of filling.
Wrap each sandwich by first pressing down filling into the center of the dough. Then, fold over two opposite sides, pinching the ends together. Run a little water over the seam if it has trouble sticking together. Finish by tucking in the open ends and pinching closed.
Place seam side down on parchment paper or a lightly greased cookie sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap, and let rise again for 45-minutes to an hour.
Bake at 350-degrees for 20-minutes, then sprinkle the top of each sandwich with a few pinches of shredded mozarella. Bake for another 15-20 minutes until bread is baked through and cheese is golden.
If you haven’t already, don’t forget to enter our 10K giveaway – celebrating 10,000 facebook likes! Win one of two awesome prizes from Grandway, Belleza Mia and AMP It Up Designs!