I can't believe what I have been missing! I guess I have a thing for those pureed veggie soups - I don't care for mushrooms either, but mushroom soup is one of my favorites. Huh.
Well, this soup will definitely be making the rounds again soon. The girls literally drank it with a straw they loved it so much!
Cauliflower Soup with Beet Chips
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large head of cauliflower, stem removed - florets roughly chopped
1 large onion, sliced or diced
1-2 carrots, peeled and diced, or a handful of baby carrots, diced
4-6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
1-2 cups of milk, optional
dash of nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
2. Add in cauliflower florets, onion and carrots and saute 4-5 minutes.
3. Pour in enough stock to cover vegetables. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer until vegetables are very tender - about 20 minutes.
4. Once vegetables are tender, transfer into a blender or use a immersion blender to puree vegetables.
5. Return to pot and add in a little milk to thin down the soup, if desired. Season to taste, with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
6. Serve hot with a dash of nutmeg and beet chips.
Beet chips: Slice peeled beets very thin (1/8-inch) and pan fry in about 1/2-inch of vegetable oil over medium heat. Cook until bubbles are no longer released from the beets. Remove from oil and allow to drip and cool over a paper towel before using as garnish.