How to Make a Leak Proof Water Blob (without tape!)

Stay updated with more tutorials and recipes from
Homemade Toast on Facebook and Pinterest!
By now, I am sure you have seen these water blobs circulating on Pinterest and all over your favorite blogs. And – for good reason! Water blobs will keep the kids entertained for hours.
The only problems that seem pretty universal with the duct tape method is that they take a long time to prep – and they leak within minutes!
This tutorial is a little different. I used about 6-inches of duct tape on the entire thing! It has been sitting in our yard for 3 days now – with NO leaks, at all. And – it only took about 20 minutes to get ready!
*Update: I just drained our water blob. The grass under it was dying and stinky. :( I’m hoping that it will perk back up in a few days – but I definitely won’t leave it out for more than 2 days next time!
I knew there had to be another (better, faster, & easier) way!

I had used a similar method in making my own walls-of-water for my tomatoes earlier in the spring, and so I knew right away how I would put together our water blob!

The secret ingredient: an iron
I literally melted the ends of the painter’s plastic together to form a leak-proof seal. I was done before “I Feel Better” started playing on Doc McStuffins. (Someone, please relate!) For those of you without toddler girls, that translates to about 15 minutes.
You’ll need:
  • Painter’s plastic/plastic sheeting (affiliate link), *4 mil* - any size (I used a 10×25-foot roll, and cut it down to about 10×20)
  • Ironing board and iron
  • Parchment paper
  • Duct tape – optional, for sealing the hole for the hose
Turn your iron on to its hottest setting. I found it was easiest to keep my ironing board flat on the floor so that the weight of the plastic didn’t cause any cooperation issues. Many times, I actually slid my ironing board across the floor instead of moving the plastic.
Roll out your plastic in your largest room, and fold it in half – to the size you want your water blob. Don’t worry about aligning the edges – they will align as you go!
This was my set-up (the right edge is folded over because I couldn’t lay the whole thing flat):
You’ll start out with a long piece of parchment paper. At first, I tried to use a piece that was as long as my ironing board – but it was actually much easier when I cut the paper about 2-feet long.

Fold it in half, length-wise and draw a line about 2-inches out from the fold. This will be your guide of how far into iron.

Begin with the edge of plastic opposite of its fold, starting at the corner. Open up your parchment and place your plastic inside, aligning it to the fold of the parchment.
Then, fold the parchment back over.

Now, use your hot iron to slowly melt the plastic together by running the iron across the line of your parchment. Do not let the iron touch the bare plastic – it will melt a hole in it, and will make a huge mess all over your iron!

Press firmly, but not too hard – because the plastic is hot, it will stretch. You don’t want to weaken the plastic by thinning it out with too much pressure.

Less is more. You can always re-melt the plastic it did not completely seal!

Let it cool for a few seconds before removing the parchment. If you remove the parchment too early – you could risk stretching the plastic. (You could alternate two pieces of parchment, let one cool while the other seals)

Continue to seal all of the edges, overlapping a few inches to make sure there are no holes. After sealing the end opposite of the fold, work from the sealed edge toward the fold. Everything will align perfectly!

Now, carefully cut a small slit in the folded end of the plastic, near the corner.

Place the hose in a few feet, and prop the corner up so that the water does not spill out while you fill your water blob.
Ours took about 30 minutes to fill about 8-inches deep – and we ended up adding some food coloring about half way in. Totally not necessary, but we loved watching the color swirl into the water!

Seal off the hole with a piece of duct tape – or use your iron and parchment to melt the edge! I opted for duct tape because I plan on using it again a few times.

Then let the kids go wild! We sprayed a little water on top to splash on, and they loved it!

Stay updated with more tutorials and recipes from
Homemade Toast on Facebook and Pinterest!

Update 4/16/14: Although not verified, it seems the original source of this awesome idea comes from Play at Home Mom! This post is intended to be a tutorial for my unique way of making it, and I do not take any credit for the idea itself!

Pin on PinterestShare on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Share on StumbleUponShare on RedditEmail this to someone

Comments

• Anonymous says

Sorry to correct your correction, but mil is a metric term commonly used as slang for millimetre. But more accurately its the correct term used to denote an angle in navigation (one millimetre at one metre) where 6400mils equals 360 degrees. I think you’re getting mixed up with 0.004 inches being referred to as 4 thou aka 4 thousandths of an inch

• Anonymous says

Plastic Sheeting (commonly called construction film) comes in a wide range of thicknesses. It is rated with the term, “mil”. A mil is a measurement that equals one-thousandth of an inch, or 0.001 inch. Most human hair is One-thousandth of inch, or 0.001 inch. The most common size in the thickness rating for plastic sheeting is 4 mil. This is 4-thousandths of an inch, or 0.004 inch. Generally, the thicker the plastic, the stronger it is. A family owned reputable company that sells this film can be found here: ameripac.net/group.cfm?id=6.64 Good luck !!

• Anonymous says

Mil is not a metric term and is not short for millimeter. 1 mil is .001 of an inch. Plastic sheeting ranges from .5 mils to as much as 20 mils.

• Anonymous says

Not a nerd. Just a construction company owner with children. And also more intelligent than you. Neandrathal.

• D says

Why is it on anything any one person posts, someone has to be judgmental, rude, an /or just being a down out BULLY. We deal with this crap in schools and wonder where our children get it from! My Hell GROW UP. lets fight over something worth fighting over…. not the thickness of plastic!!!!

• Mary, Quite Contrarey says

kudoos…..now someone call me on the spelling….lets get back to the topic…making a wonderful summer time play toy for kids!! Leisha, thank you for a wonderful tutorial. You had great pictures and directions. Can’t wait to make this up for a friends kids. Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU LEISHA!

• anonymous says

the adults are acting more immature than the kids who will be enjoying this water blob
            !

• Anonymous says

You are so smart that you began a sentence with AND…don’t toot your own horn. It only makes you look ignorant and childish.

• Anonymous says

There’s no such thing as a “Neandrathal”. Never has been.
      And since you’re bringing up your line of work in the discussion, I’ll also bring mine: As a biologist, I can assure you that if you are an American of an European decent, you do carry Neandertal genes in your DNA.
      So you just insulted your great great (…) great grand mother.
      Good thing intelligence isn’t measured with the ability to spell and to make human history references.

• JermChu says

Actually, “the biologist” did spell it right and so did the other person since both Neanderthal and Neandertal are both correct and accepted spellings. (from: another biologist) ;-)

• Anonymous says

Really? You people make me want to disown the human race.
      Some guy comes up with a Genius idea so his kids can have a great time.
      then he has the kind heartedness to share it with the world so we can do the same.
      then you guys start a mudslinging match about Plastic Thickness and prehistoric primates.
      Why dont the lot of you who had Mud to sling just to hide under a bridge somewhere?
      dont you have some Billy Goats to bother with?
      GET OFF MY INTERNETZ. YOUR TAKING UP SPACE IN THE TUBEZ.

• Diane says

The tarp idea is great! It would also allow one to pull the “blob” around (if not too heavy) the yard….avoiding the yellow grass :)
        By the way, this post was not meant to be a history or English debate! All those Anonymous know-it-alls….. KEEP IT TO YOURSELVES!!

• Anonymous says

The guy who never worked in construction and never heard of mil apparently brings god on the table. Is this a child or a completelying misinformed shut in were dealing with? Do you even science bro?

• Anonymous says

Worse yet mil (aside from measuring plastic thickness) is not millimeters, but milliLITERS, a volume. The abbreviation for milliliters is mL often refered to as a “mil”. Although none of these metric units apply to this particular measurement… (unless of course you want to have fun calculating how many “mils”(mL) it takes to fill your water-pillow…

• Anonymous says

I don’t want to debate but a Mil, also known as a thou is equal to one thousandth of an inch (0.001 inch). The mil or thou is still used to measure thickness of various materials. The mil should not be confused with a millimeter (0.001 meter), a multiple of a base metric unit of length. Mil is not a unit to measure volume as mentioned above.

• db says

mil 1 (mĭl)
        n.
        1. A unit of length equal to one thousandth (10-3) of an inch (0.0254 millimeter), used, for example, to specify the diameter of wire or the thickness of materials sold in sheets.
        2. A milliliter; one cubic centimeter.
        3. A unit of angular measurement used in artillery and equal to 1/6400 of a complete revolution.

• Anonymous says

So, I should use the plastic that has a 4 thickness? Sheesh guys, there are more important things in life. Like, turtles, pizza, and chocolate (you can’t forget the chocolate).

• says

Don’t mind me, I’m just here for the comments…
      However, since I’m here anyway… both Neanderthal, and Neandertal are considered correct, but, for the ‘biologist’ you’re guarantee of all Euro descended Americans having Neandertal genes has not been proven, it’s merely conjecture at this point. Maybe you should confer with a geneticist, or stick to your own field and stop offering unproven, unsupported information as factual.
      – I also wanted to say, who cares where the term mil came from, who cares what it means, as long as the box has the term on it the OP suggested, then that’s what i’m buying…
      Bunch of Goofballs!
      Thanks for the laughs though.

• Ken Hall says

I love it when people argue on the internet …. it must beat fighting with the voices in their heads …..LMAO

Great idea, by the way …. Thank you so much for sharing it with everyone …. even these strange anonymous people …..lol

• Kia says

I have read many of these comments and thus far, THIS is my favorite!
        Thank you all for entertaining the geek/nerd in all of us with this debate.
        The water blob looks terribly fun! Does anyone know if wax paper could be used rather than parchment and if that would alter the efficacy of the cooling time or how quickly the paper could be moved to the next section?

• Chanoah says

hahahahaha clicked on the site thought it was a cool idea then read all the comments, comical !!! thanks everyone

• says

There is a definite unresolvable conflict on the spelling of Neandertal. Some years ago it was corrected from Neanderthal, but the H persists and seems to have the popular vote. My brother corrected me when I said Neandertal, but I am smarter than he.

I was wondering about seal a meal, but I suppose that would be too time intensive. Melting plastic on purpose scares me, but I shall do it out doors.

Lemon merangue, please.

• Anonymous says

Sad when you guys are worse thenppageant moms. We try to stop bullying in the schools for our children but you adults are just as bad. How can children learn by example to be good if parents act like this. Everyone has to take offense to everything people say. Most of the time it was from a well meaning comment. Please feel free to correct me, name call and bully your way to feeling better about yourself.

• Heather says

Im seriously cracking up here. To the person that said “this is why we can’t have nice things” Is that you Hailey? This is totally a saying in our house when family members argue about stupid crap! I can’t wait to make this, that if the voices don’t start arguing and I can get my Neanderthal s to help. On another note, if I use heavy plastic can my big ass play on it to?

• Anonymous says

I was interested in the water blob until I got distracted and began LOL at the comments. You people are hilarious! Thank you for providing some serious, much needed, belly laughs. Really.

• Anonymous says

Hey biologist, behave in a DECENT manner and leave the construction worker’s DESCENT out of this conversation. …you’re welcome… -English teacher

• Anonymous says

Shouldn’t that “y” in “you’re” be capitalized?

Sincerely,
        A concerned high school student.

Not that I care any, but if you’re going to be an English teacher please use proper English.

I’m not saying my English is perfect, so criticize me if you like. Just trying to be helpful.

• says

Wow! You people are funny! Well it does not matter who someone says they are here; you can be anything online!!! I like the English teacher!!! (please don’t take off points for punctuation!) So, on to my questions! First, let me make sure I have the details correct. I need a 4 millimeter painters drop, correct? Now what I need to know is how 100+ degree summers in the south is going to effect the stability of this blob and what the risk of burns is in this kind of heat. Anybody?

And to whomever is making the pie….Blackberry sounds fab!!! I like FROGS!!

• Mel says

it’s not 4 millimeter, in Home Depot, the bag will say 4mil. Sorry not sure about the temp of the blob. Sounds like fun though.
        I prefer apple! I like hummingbirds!! :)

• Anonymous says

Why? Why? Why? Why does the world go round? Why is the sky blue a d the grass green? Why are people so cruel? Why do they fight? Oh why?

• Anonymous says

I just farted really loud, and then barked at my own ass while running in circles, chasing the source of the noise.

• Hazymeerkat says

Just laughed ’til I farted. Scared the cat who jumped on the dog who took off running and knocked over the ficus tree.

Fudge pie, please, with vanilla ice cream.

I like toad stools.

• Anonymous says

Blah blah blah, just go out and buy some heavy duty plastic sheet, (here in England we call 1400 gage) and enjoy the summer. Or simply fill a double camping mattress with water

• jazziegirlie says

Oh my gosh.. I have a queen camping mattress that I was going to donate to get rid of it.. I may have to do this instead :) Thanks!!!

• Lisa F says

This is a great idea. The old camping mattress would definitely hold an adult I bet! It won’t look as cool since it’s not see through but it will last longer. :)

I like key lime pie!

• jacob dixon says

I thought the water blob was a great idea. but to the case of Kay Burk’s comment about the southern heat, I make the case of living in far north of Montana and we only have 4months of summer if we are lucky. our winters get to below -0 on most nights, now how is this Blob gonna help me then??? oh you guys are also funny as Homer and Bart. I like surachi in vanilla ice cream, and a undercover super hero.

• Jacob says

not trying to start a whole other issue here, but don’t they measure weight in kilo’s, not pounds?

• says

Oh my goodness! The comments on this string are hilarious! The project is very cool. I’m planning on making it this summer. Frogs are awesome, as is Blackberry pie. I wish I had the guts to post this as my spell checker wants it. It’s downright hysterical.

• says

@ Anonymous (English teacher one) – Le Grammar in the last section of your comment? Anyway I do agree with your sentiment there. These people are hilarious with their comments :P . And yes, I also like this idea, and the iron definitely would make things easier

@ Kay Burk – stability should not be an issue, as a standard household iron heats to a much higher temperature than what you would experience sitting on a blob like this guide shows. Sunburn risk is about as high as going to the beach or swimming in an outdoor pool in broad daylight (sunny conditions, ~100 degrees farenheit)

By the way, correct spelling of the term some of us are using is: Neanderthal

Correct common references for the term “mil” are (Please note I am using British English):
      1. mL – most common, abbreviation for millilitre
      2. mm – very common, abbreviation for millimetre
      3. million – not used very often
      4. Module interconnection language – a language used in large for software programming on computers
      5. Media Integration Layer – the composition engine used in Windows computer operating systems by Desktop Window Manager and Windows Presentation Foundation
      6. 0.001 inches (1/1000th of an inch – an inch is roughly 2.5cm for those converting between Metric and Imperial measurements)

• anonymous 2 says

Yessssssssss!
        Australian here and we often refer to millimetres (mm) as ‘mil’ (singular) or ‘mils’ (plural).
        Eg. I’m over all the know-it-alls telling us how it is. Hand me that 30 mil long needle so I can stick it in my eye.

• CrystalK says

I think she meant burns because of the plastic heating up because of 100+ degree temps and burning kids? That was my question also.

• Andrew says

I think it would be fine and if it starts to get hot, spray it down with water or just leave the sprinklers on. my .02

• says

Well like the last post, I was concerned about the risk of burns also from the hot summers. But, it seems as tho frogs, pies, lamps, pre-historic humans and such maybe more important. If the construction worker, biologist, english teacher, pie maker or even the geneticist that someone referred the biologist to talk to has any insight on this it would be great.

• bob says

The water will keep the plastic cool. No need to worry about burns. If it gets really hot where you live you could just spray it down with your water hose before you let the kids play on it.

• says

I would imagine most straightiners would work they generally get about 300 to 450 degrees. I think im gonna try it with mine. its already about to be thrown away so it wont hurt if i break it more lol. good luck all this is the best idea i have seen in a long time online .

• Anonymous says

I’m going to use a flattened cardboard box instead of pushing the ironing board around on the floor….

• Anonymous says

But would a hair straightner be big enough? Wouldn’t it take longer? I’m just wondering. It sounds like a great Idea.I cant wait to go to Ace hardware and see if they have it since this is the only hardware store in the middle east im not sure where else to get it, but I think this is going to be great for when it gets cold during the winter. But not during the hot summer it might melt. Now the part of the technical measurements. I am just going to pass this part onto my husband. I hate that whole part I want the easy and fun part. to fill it up and play on it LOL

• Anonymous says

I would be careful and don’t get complacent because the water is encased in plastic. If a kid falls asleep on it face down, there is the potential for suffocation. Caution and supervision always!

• Anonymous says

Has anybody tried to hold that last corner up and melt it together. The hair straightener might work well for that.

• Anonymous says

Oh no. That was a question by the way. I guess I hit the wrong key. Please everyone berate me now and tell me how stupid I am.

1. says

This is brilliant! I’m doing a post with some great water games and I am planning on featuring this one! I hope that’s alright! I was just going to do the duct taped blob, but this is seriously awesome idea! I’m doing it THIS way when I do it.

2. Anonymous says

LOVE the idea of the iron, soooo bright!!! Does the “blob” get hot to the touch after a while?

P.S. Also, just a friendly Mom-to-Mom thought: you might want to edit the photos of your kiddos – maybe blurs spots? Lots of pervs in the world.

• says

Thanks! Ours did get warm on the second day – not too hot for the kids, but definitely much warmer! Thanks for the suggestion – took out some pics that prob shouldn’t be circulating the internet! ;)

• Lisa F says

You came up with a great alternative! Thank you. And your babies are beautiful :) I might do this for my grandkids but use the camping mattress idea. One way or the other this is great. Just a few thoughts.

My solution to the “is going to get too hot” problem would be to place it in the shade. Otherwise, put your hand on it for a few minutes before you put your children on it. If you can’t touch it neither should they. You could also set up a sprinkler near by to keep the surface wet and cool. Good luck to every one who tries this! Have fun.

• says

This is really amazing!! Thank you for sharing it. But I agree with this thread, your daughters are adorable, but I would blur them as there are scary people on the net, all you have to do is read the first comment thread on here. lol. Have a great day!!

• Anonymous says

What about adding some chlorine or something to prevent the algae, after a couple days in the sun there would be some growth.

3. says

Just made this on Saturday and the kids had such a blast. Had a couple leaks I had to tape up but I think that was because the plastic got a bit wrinkled when I was ironing and didn’t seal all the way. With 5 boys playing on it all day mine was trashed by the next morning. But I think it’s something we’ll do at least once per summer. So much fun!

4. says

Totally amazing!! I’m in love! I’ve never seen one of these before, but as soon as I told my husband about it over the phone my 9 yr old daughter same running to the computer to see what I was talking about. By the way, I love the blue food coloring I think it added a lot to the appeal.

5. says

I could only find 3.5 mm in the 10×25! darnit. I hope it will still be somewhat durable to last an afternoon with 8 kids…

6. says

NICE! I’ve done the duct tape method more than once with my students.. but been sad that it only lasts the day due to the duct tape leaking. I wonder if this would work with a heavier gage plastic, as I do it with the REALLY have gage to withstand my crew jumping… hmmmmm might have to try!

7. Anonymous says

I did this with 3mm (all I could find in my immediate area) and it worked great! We set it up for my 3 year old daughter’s birthday party yesterday…a total of 3 preschoolers and 3 18 month olds. No leaks! Thanks for sharing!

8. Lee says

This is so cool! Thanks. Is it strong enough for an adult to just lay on it? I can picture it in the back yard on mild spring evening just gazing up at the stars with a grandkid or two. OOOHH and the stargazer APP!

9. Anonymous says

thanks this looks like something my son and his friends might enjoy. We might have to try it next Summer. I like the idea of food coloring maybe I’ll through in some glitter or sponge animals

10. Anonymous says

Hi, Just want to clarify… did you mean 3 mil, not 3mm? 3mm (millimeters) is a bit thicker than a round toothpick. There is a big difference.

• Anonymous says

Uh, isn’t 3 mil 3 mm? But 3 millimeters of plastic is the measurement and it withstands a lot of pressure at that thickness.

• Anonymous says

mils are a somewhat esoteric unit of measurement equal to 1/1000th of an inch. so 3 mil is about 3/4 of a millimeter.

• Anonymous says

If you go to the paint aisle and look at the plastic sheets, you will see the “3mm” size they are talking about. They are very clearly labeled. It is simply referring to the thickness of the plastic sheet.

• elisssssabeth says

Posting a link to swimsuits makes you….clever? Witty? Holier than thou? Good job. They are just babies for crying out loud. My daughter spent months and months in just a cloth diaper in our backyard. Often not even the diaper. Live your life and quit judging others.

• Anonymous says

I had no idea what your post was referring to. I went back and looked at the pics. The first time I didn’t even notice. There’s nothing wrong with little girls having fun in their panties.

• Anonymous says

What a silly link to post! I read the entire article and looked at all the pics and the only thing I thought was that this looks awesome and the kids will love it! There’s no reason to look beyond that or to make unnecessary judgements on an obviously loving family.

• says

First of all I was thinking what on earth is a water blob and then I read through your post and am now quite excited to be off to the DIY store so I can make one for my friends kids. I have everything needed already, I just have to go and pick up some of the plastic sheeting so I can get going on this project. Would the tape also be strong enough for fixing leaks if this occurred do you think? Great idea!

11. says

I love this! Thank you for sharing. I’ve seen this idea all over, but I’ve always passed it off as “too much work” because I hated the thought of duct tape and leaking water everywhere. This is brilliant!

12. says

I think I’ll try adapting this a little bit… I teach preschool in a small town in the Arctic so really no great outdoor time can be found, but I think if I measure it out for a discovery box and seal some sea critters inside and put it out the kids will love it!

• Ann Lynn Smith says

IF you are looking for a smaller discovery box idea, you can even get cheap hand soaps to seal inside plastic, I found one similar that I did with just using ziploc bags and taped on top of white paper on a small table. I did four ziploc bags so there were 4 separate colors and the kids could trace letters and numbers into the plastic like they were drawing to move the soap around . I don’t know the link but I found it on Spoonful.

13. Anonymous says

Home Depot has 6 mil thick plastic sheeting for about $25. That would be very durable, right? Awesome!

14. Anonymous says

I’m so glad you posted this. I was looking for something different to do for my granddaughter and also a way to make a waterproof cooler bag for my diabetic son so he can have his supplies with him on outings without having a lug a big cooler.

15. Anonymous says

I like the idea of this…how cool would this be with the liquid from the glow in the dark sticks on a camp out or a sleepover to just hang out on at night..and if you had a big portable screen room to put over it to sleep on later…it’s like we’re back in the 80s sleeping on a waterbed for the night…lol

• says

I promise that if you sleep on a waterbed or waterbag that’s room temperature or cooler, you’ll be shivering within half an hour and running inside for your beds. But if the sun has warmed it all day – that might be worth a try.

• says

I would NOT sleep on this. The possibility of it breaking is very real and kiddos could drown. Also water evaporates making the plastic lose, and a kiddo sleeping face down could suffocate.

• Michelle says

Just wondering how the water is going to evaporate in a sealed plastic bubble. Any scientists/contractors have an opinion on this?

• Anonymous says

I am about to tonight. I have a 20×100 roll of 6mil I bought for a project that I am going to turn into a 20×20 one of these when I get home!

16. Anonymous says

Well no I have not seen the water blob postings on Pinterest, but what an interesting idea for the summer!

• Anonymous says

You should go to the paint aisle of any hardware store and they will have the plastic sheets for covering your belongings while painting :)

17. says

This is really great! I would have never thought of melting the edges together. I made a total of three of these blobs last summer and used the duct tape method. Everytime I had crazy leaks and it took FOREVER to tape together. I’m really looking forward to the warm weather and trying this again using your iron method. Wish me luck! :)

• Anonymous says

you seem to have missed that this was originally intended for toddlers…the rest of these comments have been adapted for other peoples needs…sounds like a lot of creativity to me!

• Anonymous says

My 3 & 5 year old are looking forward to making this in another month or so. They aren’t very good at swimming so this is absolutely perfect for them.

18. Anonymous says

FYI my kids would love something like this considering the they are toddlers. If you don’t like it then by take the time to post a negative comment. Keep trolling on negative nancy!

19. Anonymous says

You know those little squishy tube water filled things, how they have glitter and things floating in them? Well it would be awesome to fill it with stuff like that for the little ones! Mine would love it!

20. Anonymous says

it would be awesome for water games, and put some no-puncture items for the kids to find in the water blob…like a colored piece of duct tape, a plastic fish/duck, anything you could find, that wouldn’t punch a hole in it of course. Mix some other random things in their to disguise the item they are looking for. Or even make some mini ones, small enough to hold and find the object. Make it a race, maybe even a relay with some other activities, the first down the water slide wins.

21. says

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! My daughter’s birthday is next week and we’re having a ‘carnival’ theme party. We have 3 of the big blow up jumpy things but I wanted something to add to it and this will be great!!! Going to get my supplies today.

22. Anonymous says

It would be fun to turn this into a giant “I Spy” blob. Different shaped sponges, plastic beads necklaces, any puncture proof toy from the dollar tree.

23. Anonymous says

I think the little ones would get a kick out of seeing little sponge fish floating around in there too!

24. says

It’s just a thought, but you could probably put a thick tarp under it if you are worried about your yard having stuff like sticks, rocks, etcetera that might pop it.

25. says

A long one with a little soap and water on top would make an incredible water slide!

I think I’m going to try inserting and sealing around a female hose end for filling and draining rather than cutting a hole to push a hose through.

26. says

You can buy rolls of Industrial Grade Polyethylene from our website: http://www.stockpkg.com We offer a 6 mil thickness that is 48″ wide as well as a 4 mil. These are rolls of tubing so you would only have to seal the 48″ width as the sides are already one solid piece of film. Use the discount code of JIM10 and you will receive a 10% discount on your items when you check out. As always, please remember that no poly films of any kind are child safe and using the poly film for any purpose is the sole responsibility of the consumer. Buying from our site will save you a lot of money compared to the small amount of poly in the retail packaging. The tubing comes in 300 foot rolls so you can share with friends or have plenty for multiple uses. Please remember to recycle the poly after use. You can toss it right in your recycling bin.

27. says

Suggestion. at the fold, place one end of a hose (the male connector side) into the fold, then using a hair drier to melt the plastic around the threads or use silicon caulk to seal the connector into the seam. Cut the hose about a couple of inches out, and install a female connector to the part attached to the bag, and a male connector to the rest of the hose. This way you can install a valve between the hose and the bag instead of using duct tape.

28. Anonymous says

This look awesome. Only thing that might work is get a plastic valve from home solutions store to fir hose and melt the plastic around it instead of using duc tape

29. says

On a similar note, if your plastic sheeting is food safe, this exact same technique could probably be used to make a DIY version of one of these:

If you try that, though, I’d recommend adding a plastic valve from a hardware store to fit hose and melt the plastic around it instead of using duct tape, as one poster commented yesterday, and also add 5-7 tablespoons of plain, unscented bleach to the water before filling to kill bacteria.

30. says

I wish I had found your blob a long time ago! I’m the preschool minister at a church and when we learned about Jesus walking on water I tried to make a blob inside with the duct tape…all I did was end up with a huge mess and a great, failed attempt to let kids walk on water. My 3 yr old daughter tested it and busted it . The duct tape may do great outside, but it did not seal it good enough for it to be walked on without TONS of leaks!! Maybe I’ll try again sometime soon!!

31. Anonymous says

Folding the edges over and then ironing them makes a tougher seal. Also, would it work to just attach the paper to the bottom of the iron so you could just seal all at once and not have to move the paper over and over?

32. says

So i have a question. I do a lot of sewing and normally when you make a seam it goes on the inside. would the same go for this? Or does it not matter where the seam is? also do you think it would be possible to put a fill nozzle on the edge instead of tape or sealing it forever? like maybe use a water bed nozzle or something and seal around it with the water tight spray stuff? i love the food coloring by the way. I think i am going to use a pink in mine with some glow in the dark things so at night it glows and can still be used. i do not have small children so it will be a big kid kind of thing this summer

• Anonymous says

You would actually want the seam on the outside if you planned on using it again. That way you could re-seal it if needed.

33. says

Would this still work if you put in some foam numbers and letters and shapes? Like the ones that the floor connecting tiles have. I have a toddler that is almost 2 and It sounds like a good idea. Any thoughts?

• Anonymous says

That’s a great idea, don’t know why it wouldn’t work. Maybe put in some little foam fish and things like that also.

34. Anonymous says

It sounds like a great idea for the grand kids, I just hope I can remember our little class on the true meaning of mil so I get the right thickness. Maybe I should go back and take notes. Thanks for sharing your awesome idea with all of use.

35. Anonymous says

If anyone has an old waterbed matress, it works great. Also can be filled with air, then run water over it. I remember having a great time with this when I was young.

36. Tina says

I NEED to try this ! I have a 9 yr old boy, a 6 mo old (who can probably enjoy it for 10 mins) & lets face it, a 34 yr old husband . I think we could have a lot of fun with this ! :) I’m sure my husband will challenge a belly flop contest & it won’t last more than a day; but still worth it !!

• Anonymous says

Do the ironing outside with an extension cord? Lots of things people do home-improvement stuff involves things you shouldn’t breathe too much (cleaning supplies, paint, stains, etc), ventilation is always a good idea. On the landfill note, if there’s a plastic bag recycle bin in your area, try that. The grocery stores here have them. Apparently if you can find 6 mil to 10 mil sheeting, that’s suitable for homemade ice rinks in the winter, so you could save your blob until winter, and then cut it back apart… ;)

• Anonymous says

In the spirit of the Mil discussion… There is no such thing as wasting water it goes into the ground and then into the aquifer then evaporates and comes back as rain. The only thing wasted is the energy to pump it, clean it and the money to pay the city if you have city water. But the water is still there. If you live in the country it waters your grass and seeps back into the ground and gets pumped back out your well.

37. Anonymous says

Not to be a total buzz kill, but this could easily be a suffocation issue for small babies/children. If they end up face down and can’t get themselves rolled over enough, they could easily suffocate. Cute idea but would need EXTREME supervision!

38. Anonymous says

Melting plastic should definitely be done in a well-ventilated area. Try outside on your deck/patio at least.

• Anonymous says

Food saver type products will not work. They only make a fine sealed line and not quite wide enough to fit 20 feet of plastic into. The entire edge has to fit into the slot far enough to activate the sealing switch..

39. Anonymous says

How about an inverse “water blob”. Anyone ever try making one filled with air to float on the lake?

40. Anonymous says

For those wanting a “fill valve”. How about a short piece of garden hose with aquick coupler on it so the auto “valve” is on the blob end.

41. Anonymous says

Might try taking a few pieces of plastic with some kind of collar to make a hose port so it’s drainable and no duct tape

42. says

Think I will get myself some 10 – 15 mil plastic and make myself a custom pond liner that I can now dig in any shape or depth I want to including a bowl shape for deeper areas and shallow bowls for wetland shelves……. Great way to use the left over end rolls of insulation plastic and so forth…this allows you to patch work scraps nicely…WHAT A SAVINGS for this scavenger

43. says

Very cool. I plan on doing this for Eastr r get together. Not warm enough out for the pool. I was curious what the walls of water are for the tomatoes? I have been looking for water storage and collection would this be strong enough to hold for garden collection?

44. Anonymous says

I wonder if it would be safe to put glitter and flat plastic shapes (like fish or stars) in it to swirl around?

45. says

I was wondering about algae growth after a few days in the sun if you permanently seal it. Say your not concerned about the dying grass or have a grass free, sandy area to place it. I wonder if a small amt of bleach added to the water would be safe? Any thoughts?

46. Anonymous says

Idea for toddlers: put a few small plastic toys, sponges cut into fish shapes, bright colored big buttons or something sparkly ( no sharp edges!) inside the plastic envelope before you seal and fill it. this will give the little ones something to chase, watch and play with in the water. When my son was little I had a water filled play mat for him that had bright colored and sparkly plastic shapes in it, He loved it! this would be a much bigger version, but same idea.

47. Anonymous says

Great Idea! thanks for sharing. I wonder if you could Iron a zip lock baggy into the corner to fill and empty the blob lol.

48. Anonymous says

i would just like to say… im 14 and this sounds pretty freaking cool for me. but im a 6 year old at heart

49. Anonymous says

What an extravagantly stupid waste of perfectly good fresh water. Humanity, ignorantly destroying natural resources for amusement since, well, ever.

50. Anonymous says

Put glow sticks in it on a warn summer night. Looks awesome and kids love it. Also put glow sticks in swimming pool at night.

51. Anonymous says

My daughter broke her arm and can’t go to the pool. This looks like fun! She is going to be so excited.

52. Anonymous says

Hell, all my parents did was get us kids a water bed. We used to take the sheets off and pour vegetable oil on the mattress. So fun to play on, well, until Dad got home anyway!

53. says

I use a blue tarp to protect as well as add color. But the biggest improvement I made is I inserted my garden hose about 4 inches into the bubble at a corner and ran it along the side of the wall. I then used my iron on the plastic side closest to the center so it creates a tunnel. This makes it so less pressure is pushed on the opening therefore reducing blowouts and leaks. I then glued heavy duty velcro inside the opening, at the edge, to the top and bottom of the plastic. Rather than duct tape that has to be pulled off and new used all the time which also make the corner sticky. Works GREAT.

54. Anonymous says

My kids would like to try this on the trampoline, but the weight wouldn’t hold. What if I ironed in baffles that way it would still be a water blob but with less water? This should also keep it thinner (with less water). The kids currently put a tarp on the trampoline and run the water hose; it makes me nuts they run the hose too long!

55. says

Thanks for the idea!! Might have to do that for my nephews this summer as my kids are grown up size now!! As to all the comments……lmao. Some said to put glow sticks in water. Couldn’t u cut them open and pour in? But I guess u might need to many for it to work….

56. Anonymous says

Fantastic idea (love the glo stick suggestion) but please warn people not to let their kids fall asleep on this! I know this sounds ridiculous, but they can actually get hypothermia as the water will draw their body temperature away from them.

57. says

Really fun idea but after scrolling through what, a 100 comments and ego driven debates, ranging from the apparently esoteric comprehension of mils versus millimeters to the dubious genetic histories of the commentators, I am surprised that NO ONE noticed this apparent but innocent mistake “Place the hose in a few feet, and prop the corner up so that the water DOES spill out while you fill your water blob.”. People are so funny.

58. says

So if I wanted to keep it forever and give it a permanent home in my back yard like on sand or something… should I add a little bleach to the mix to keep stuff from growing in it? :P

59. says

you forget the safety guard id suggest a snake pillow for the perimeter 2 for added hieght also if you dont want rocks to pop the float you could set it on some kind of bottom tarp that`s rugid enough to keep it from popping the plastic for extra dded saety and also…i hate to say althought it`s versatility is just endless…. the duct tape is down-right serisouly not the right way .. almost shameful! now mattter how much water it keeps in. Use a air plug from a bouncy ball or a blow pool. Oh and btw tonic water glows in the dark,… so i`ve seen. just add some sparkles and stars to complete your stargazer!

60. says

This is something that has been done for years and I mean 20+ years so I honestly think finding “the source” pointless.
    We used to add glitter to the water too and sometimes confetti. Remembered doing this as a kid

61. says

Wading through aol the comments I can understand why creative people get discouraged. :-/ Thank you for taking the time to tweak it then post. We just moved to a large city from Northern MI. The change has needed a little rough for the kids but this… THIS could be my shinning moment lol. Thanks again :-D

62. Lisa Vinson says

I love this. May try it but it most likely won’t last long without a lot of re-ironing. My little guy is almost 7 but severely disabled due to a stroke in utero. His main goal in life the past few years is to see how much and how many things he can chew, bite, and destroy :/

63. Erin says

So, uh, now that everyone has extensively examined the issue of mils, does anybody have comments how how long this thing will last with kids actually playing on it? It looks cool, but it also looks like something my kids could destroy in 10 minutes or less.

64. Veronica says

“I feel better, so much better. Thank you doc for taking my ouches away…” I have a 4 year old son who LOVES Disney Jr. Though he’s starting to outgrow it. Don’t know if I’m sad about it or happy about it, mixed feelings here.

65. Mslovesya says

My question is, how much weight will this hold? Im worried about the seams bursting if my 9yr old daughter and few of her friends lay out on it. Thanks…..

66. Mama of a Toddler says

Will a 0.7 mm melt as good as a 0.4 mm plastic? I just want it to be a little thicker so it doesn’t get punctured easily.

Let me know if you’ve tried it. Great idea by the way!

67. smtk says

Great tutorial,

I could see an improvment;

The vacuum bags you get for storing clothes have a 2 part valve you could probably pilfer and use to make a filler cap and no need for tape at all. just make a hole and tighen it on (maybe add some bathroom sealent for a gasket)

68. Jen Policare says

I would love to try this, but how does the seal stay shut with just tape? The pressure of the kids dont make it pop off? Ty jen

69. Me says

I just spent the last 30 min reading every one of these comments. I have had a horrible day and was about to throw in the toweland crash for the nigh when I started in one the comments. 30 minutes later and half a dozen snorts and quite a few outright laughs I feel so much better. Thank you Internet for actually making me feel better for once instead of worse.

70. Eric says

To add to the hair straightener part. Would it be safe to say you could wrap the parchment around each end of it and slide the straightener down in a continuous motion, or would the parchment paper eventually burn? Would like to try this for my kids as well.

71. Amber says

Thanks for sharing! I can hardly wait to make this for the children that I work with. Summer times can be hard here in Houston, and this is a neat idea to make outdoor playtime more enjoyable for them. Thank you for the time you took to share this great idea!!!

72. christine says

If i use the thickest plastic sheeting available commercially , will it still melt together as easily with the household iron? or will the 4 mil hold up against a group of kids? i was thinking of doing this for a Bar-B-Que to keep the kiddos entertained.

• says

I’m sure you could go thicker! It may take a little more time to melt, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work! I think the 4 mil would hold up fine with a group of kids for one night – but, depending on how rough they are with it… you may have a few repairs to make before using it a second time. It’s pretty indestructible at that thickness with toddlers, but older kids might be able to do a little more damage. :)

73. Trina says

I actually have a question about the water blob. I made it today, and it’s amazing and my 3 year old boys LOVE it. But right along the border of where i ironed it, it has lots of tiny leaks. Do you have this problem? I used the 4mil plastic sheeting, and followed your directions. They are crazy and jumping all over it, so maybe it’s just that they’re so rough?

• says

Trina – I haven’t had the same problem, but my guess would be that the plastic melted just a little too much, causing holes to rip along the seam! Make sure not to apply too much pressure when you iron and to let it cool completely before removing the parchment. When the plastic is hot it is VERY fragile. You may be able to re-melt them closed by carefully ironing in another inch or so! I’m glad to hear they enjoyed it!!

74. says

I had a hard time sharing your awesome DIY post on my social media profiles :( You don’t have any social sharing buttons. Try one of these WP plugins (from WordPress.org and free): Simple Share Buttons Adder, Shareaholic | share buttons & related posts, or Floating Social Bar :)

• says

Thank you for the suggestion!! I just switched over to WP and am still trying to get everything situated over here. :) I’ll look into those right now! Thanks again!

75. Anonomus says

Y knot by a kidie pool. Jus sayin. Love the comets! Mil is corect and I would no. Neantrrathrawl is the corect splelling. Plastik ain’t gud for any 1. I lik spelin.
    I hart the interrnett and knot evah havin to use my voice to talk to people I know and love. Yeah internet!! Have you hugged anyone today? How about that Monsanto, homelessness, or just hanging with your besties on the internet that completely complete you.. I love being on the computer wasting my life away and not missing one Pinterest post!!

76. Brandy Thompson says

This looks awesome! I wonder if it could be used in a medical way for persons confined to wheelchairs for some excercise and to relieve pressure & avoid pressure sores. I’m in a wheelchair so I am going to try it & will report back.

77. Barb Eisenbart says

WOULD IT BE SAFE THE LET THE KIDS PLAY WITH THIS PLASTIC. I WOULD NEVER LET THEM PLAY ALONE WITH THIS.
    CAN’T BE TOO CAREFUL.

78. Sarah Barboza says

I love this idea, my kids are going to love this. And I totally got your doc mcstuffins metaphor lol very funny.

79. Lazerus says

For the hose fill there is a slightly better method.

Using the same seaming method shown make a plastic tube a bit larger than your hose, apx 2 feet long. Seam this into the corner so that the tube extends inside the “blob”. To fill the blob just stick your hose inside the tube. Once full remove the hose and the internal water pressure will seal the tube. No duct tape required. To drain just insert a stick, hose or best short length of pvc pipe into the tube. This will hold it open and allow the water out.

80. Kathy says

Great idea. I hope you don’t take to heart the previous comments on various measurements. Most of us that actually buy plastic, and other materials, know what the measurements mean, and I pinned this on my Pinterest!

Thanks for sharing!

81. mamafeher says

Crazy question…where and how do you store this thing when not in use lol? Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!

82. Jillian says

Loved this! Made it for my kiddos…however, within about two minutes my two-year old came running with the garden rake, and “Hi-YA!”ed it. POP! Sigh.

83. Emmy says

It would also be really cool if you broke a couple glow in the dark sticks and put them in the water blob so they would be glow in the dark….or am I thinking highlighter ink?

84. says

I like above how every one was fighting I would have liked to see them meet
    But really I love the idea even being a sitter now it’s fast easy and I can being it with me to there house

85. Nancy says

I’m totally making this next summer when I have my niece around (hopefully her dad who will be 27 will not act like his inner 5 year old self and pop it.) I seriously sat here reading all the comments and got a laugh, huge improvement to my day after being in a tornado warning and having a possible tornado six miles from my house.

86. Vanna Bean says

I can relate to Doc McStuffins lol. Thanks for the step-by-step, can’t wait to try for my little girl!

87. Rebecca says

YOUR water blob is made differently than the one that you mention in your update, so I do not understand why you feel the need to give them undue credit.

88. Donella says

Okay, I have to agree with others on here. Reading this made my day! The idea caught my attention and the comments kept me reading to the end. The one thing I did not see answered was would the stronger plastic work as well? I have a teenage daughter and she would love this just for laying out. I won’t lie so would I! If we get the stronger plastic, do you think the iron will still work?

A few other comments: The part about burning plastic on purpose, this would be no different than using a food saver. Same concept just on a larger scale.

Pie is awesome! I will take some of the blackberry.

Who cares how it is spelled? They are dead and gone, I promise it will not hurt their feelings if you spell it wrong.

Don’t worry about what the mL means! It was just a way to let you know what to look for! It might come as a surprise to you but this was not about being a super intellect, it was about giving our kids something fun to do over the summer.

Lastly, you can also use this a time to learn (for home school parents)! From everything to reactions to mass measurements. It is awesome!

89. Cathy says

WOW…now I know why I don’t usually read comments! How do people get so fired up over simple things. Relax and go make a water blob…that is all this post is about!

90. Sherry says

This has nothing to do with the water blob but I was reading all the comments and I found it very interesting that you said Europeans have the Neanderthal gene. Do British Isles descendants have it also? I tested 96 % British Isles so I am curious.

91. Shelley says

There was a show on the history channel about DNA from various backgrounds and countries. Have you tried looking up “Neanderthal DNA”? Maybe a link to the show or research will pop up.

Trackbacks

1. […] Make a Water Blob — I’d never even seen one of these until recently, but it looks like a fabulous way to entertain little ones who might be too small to play safely and happily in a swimming pool.  (All my grandbabies!)  Basically you seal the edges of a large painter’s tarp using an iron. (While ironing you use a layer of parchment paper between the iron and the tarp.) […]