I made this roasted tomato sauce for the first time a few weeks ago. I have made tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes before – but I had always just simmered down the tomatoes after peeling and seeding them. This method, however, is so much less work – and has so much more flavor. I don’t think I’ll be passing up many sales on tomatoes anymore! This sauce combines a few simple ingredients into a wonderful tomato sauce that you can use for pastas, pizzas and dipping.
Roasted Tomato Sauce
tomatoes, cut in half – I used Roma
1. Arrange tomato halves in a baking pan with carrots and onion. I used a quarter onion and one carrot to every 9×13 pan of tomatoes.
2. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and generously sprinkle sea salt and Italian seasoning over tomatoes.
3. Roast at 250 for 4 to 6 hours, until tomatoes are very tender.
4. Let the tomatoes cool for 20-30 minutes after removing from the oven, then place everything in a food processor or blender with a large handful of fresh basil.
5. Pulse to desired consistency.
6. Bring sauce back to heat by warming it over stove, or in a crock pot. I found my sauce needed just a little bit more time to cook – so I kept it in the crock pot on low for about two hours.