I don’t know how the tradition started – but growing up, every New Year’s morning my mom would make Huevos Rancheros for breakfast. Is was something we all looked forward to as a family. Huevos Rancheros is a Mexican dish with beans and tortilla layered with eggs that have been poached in a tomato sauce. It’s unique, healthy, and delicious!
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons cumin
2 Tablespoons olive oil or butter
4 ounces diced green chili’s
16 ounces tomato sauce
16 ounces red enchilada sauce
refried or black beans
bacon or turkey bacon, diced and cooked
1. Saute onions, garlic and cumin with olive oil in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until soft and translucent.
2. Reduce heat to medium. Add can of green chilies, tomato sauce and enchilada sauce. Bring mixture to a simmer.
3. Crack 3-5 eggs into the sauce, depending on the size of your pan – far enough away from each other that they do not touch.
4. Cover, and let the eggs poach in the sauce until they are done. Remove the eggs with a large slotted spoon, and keep warm. Stir the sauce well, then repeat with remaining eggs.
5. Layer a warm tortilla with beans, place an egg and sauce on top, then garnish with other toppings.